QUICK LOOK NUTRITION FOR RUNNERS
A few handy points for runner’s diets:
- Complex Carbohydrates - be sure to base your diet on plenty of carbohydrates and where possible aim these to be from wholegrain sources. At least 50% of your daily energy should come from carbohydrates.
- Low fat diet but be sure to include essential fats omega 3 and 6 essential FA
- Water - keep well hydrated at all times. Aim for at least 2 litres a day.
- Fruit and Vegetables – Include at least 5 portions a day. They are an excellent source of fibre and vitamins and minerals and of high importance and a must for runners.
- Limit processed foods
- Replenish carbohydrate stores after a run, especially after runs over an hour and intense training session. Your muscles will recover much more quickly.
- Eat little and often is ideal for runners. Include plenty of healthy snacks. Never skip breakfast and never run on empty
- Long runs need fuelling. Take on simple carbohydrates during your longer runs
Nutritional Advice--By Hannah Roberts